Saturday, December 18, 2010

Technology

As a vent dependent quadriplegic, I rely on technology for every breath I get. Whether it is from a ventilator, or my new diaphragm pacing system, technology is involved in some form. As a web developer, I also use technology for work, it's also required for people to view my work.

Last week, my computer started acting up, freezing unexpectedly due to screen problems. As any geek would, I attempted to isolate the problems and work so as not to have them occur. Unfortunately, this only worked for a few days, and Wednesday night, while having supper, the computer froze while simply running the screensaver. Attempting to restart it on Thursday was not successful either.

Therefore, a trip to the Apple store was needed to start the fixing process. Thankfully, one of my assistants was going there today with her family and was willing to drop it off. In the mean time, while my primary computer is is the shop, I'm using my backup computer, about a five-year-old laptop.

I'm thankful that I have been able to get these resources, and that I was given information about an online backup service that has allowed me to continue working. Getting used to this computer's quirks and older technology has taken some adjusting, but I'm grateful to have the option.

As for the other pieces of technology I depend on, thankfully God has provided engineers that make them very reliable. No engineer can fully duplicate God's design of the human body, but for those of us that need alternatives, He has provided a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment