Saturday, January 29, 2011

January Notes

Notes, comments, musings, take your pick, they would all work equally well. I don't have anything particular this evening to discuss, just general items from this month that is about to end.

A couple weeks ago, this cartoon was mentioned in one of my group memberships, the Society for Barefoot Living. I thought it was funny, and likely a phrase I would have used as a youngster. As you know, I believe all kids should go barefoot at pretty well all times, but I doubt the excuse would go very far with most parents.

The good news, to me, is that activities like barefoot running are becoming more popular, and a few podiatrists are realizing the benefits of going without footwear. Along with the recent barefoot book, at least society is beginning to go the right way on one issue.

Education
At the beginning of this, I started my fourth class at University of Phoenix, Java Programming 2. Every class I take at UoP, I become more thankful that I did not start my education in this style. I'm certain every school is different, but these classes have generally been very difficult. In part, due to the fact you can't simply raise your hand, or mouth stick in my case, and get direct one-on-one attention from the instructor. My current class particularly, the professor does not seem interested in the students and is available for very few hours.

Again, I'm very thankful for the opportunity I had to take classes at Simpson College, in a regular classroom environment. After nearly three years there, I became very familiar with the school's requirements, instructors, and everything else associated with school. Unfortunately, UoP basically took none of my credits, so I am forced to retake many classes, such as Java 2. I learned a few months ago that University of Phoenix is a for profit school, and it is rather obvious. The most I hear about is getting tuition paid, very little concern is voiced for how I'm doing academically. Fortunately, since I've only had repeat classes and by God's grace, I'm doing well academically.

Pacing
It has now been over two months since I received the Diaphragmatic Pacemaking System. Generally, I would say my progress with the system is going well. A few weeks ago, I was introduced to a fellow long-time quad, 30 years post, who has been on a pacemaker his entire injury. He suggested to take it slower than I had been and increase gradually. Listening to his advice, I've been going two weeks at a set time for two or so sessions a day and increasing by 30 minutes after that time. Since doing this routine, I haven't had the shortness of breath issues I was getting.

In a few days, friend Bill from Florida is scheduled to get his DPS implant. We're nearing two years since he and I were part of the research group, so I'm glad to see he's finally getting it. My primary dislike at this point is speech quality. While breathing in, I can't speak; therefore, I have to pause every four seconds at my current rate. I sound like I went back to 2nd grade, before I started using the speaking valve, and sound very much like a 'vent user.' Perhaps this will improve as I become more accustomed to it, but it will always require a pause to inhale.

As is the norm in this life I've been given, I know every day, or hour, is different from the next. We'll see next time what is going on or may be coming around the bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment