Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kids

Last week was my first school talk of the year, 2nd graders at Pella Christian. This class had a student that knows me well, Rae. I spoke with her after church on Sunday to not answer questions, but I wasn't quite sure how she would be. She did very well, and asked more questions than I expected her to. However, she said later it was to try to get the other kids to ask questions.

This was my first speech while using my pacemaker. I think it went well with explaining what it does for me, but I'm not sure yet. I did hear through the grapevine yesterday that another kid in the class liked having me, so I did make an impression on one at least.

One item I would like to work on more is promoting going barefoot for the kids, but I don't know that it would fit. These talks are just on disability awareness, so it would be awkward to work it in. My next talk is scheduled for the "TOMS day without shoes" day, but I asked and the school doesn't participate in it. I don't agree with the philosophy of giving shoes to children that don't have any. It would just be a convenient way to work in going barefoot.

After weeks of debate, I finally went ahead and applied for CHAMP Camp. I did mail the director that I may have to back out yet, but hopefully not. I still have mixed feelings about going, but this year should finalize most of my concerns for future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment