Monday, January 27, 2014

Classics

I wouldn't hesitate to tell you I'm not a fan of antiques, I much prefer anything modern. My dad and I have a train layout in the basement, it never gets touched, but it does exist. He would have it all in a 1950's era with the last steam engines and early diesels. I would have the latest generation engines,  modern cars, and scenery like you see track side today. Maybe that's why we've done very little scenery on it. Despite all this, I have been in a classic (old) movie spurt the past few weeks.

A blog I follow suggested both of them, and I did enjoy them. The first movie is called Smiley, a 1956 production set in Australia. The movie follows a boy, Smiley, in his quest to earn enough money to buy a bike. You follow him through town, woods, and school to Smiley's next adventure. Watch it on YouTube at the link given to find out if he gets the bike or spends it all on lollies (candy).

The second movie was via NetFlix, a 1976 version of Tom Sawyer. I saw the new version a few years ago, but I think this is a more accurate rendition. Tom is rarely seen with shoes, as in the book, and he has an aversion to school, not something I remember as much in the latest release. My only qualm is that it's also a musical. Fortunately, for me, it isn't all sung and reminds me of plays my school put on when I was in Junior High.

Both movies depict a time that has unfortunately been lost in modern society. The Bible was freely taught in public schools and children could roam, and attend school, barefoot like anyone else. Modern times are great for a number of reasons, increased medical technology (like vents and diaphragm pacemakers), better communication, fuel efficiency, and many more. Unfortunately, even I, Mr. Modern, will attest to the old ways sometimes being better. I don't see the U.S. reverting back for quite some time, but history does have a way of repeating itself. Until another week has gone, that's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment