Monday, March 24, 2014

Trains, Planes, and Tractors

Every so often, a random thought enters my head, finds a lot of open real estate, and moves on out the other ear. Looking back at my grandfather's life last week makes me wonder what I would have done differently in my current situation, and what I may have done if I didn't have a spinal cord injury (SCI).

If I went back about 15 years, I would have studied engineering more than information technology. I tend to quickly pickup on new technology, but I also do so with mechanical items. I love knowing how things work, seeing what ways they can be improved, and thinking how an item can simplify life. One add on I had on my flight simulator was called AfCad, it allowed you to manipulate airports in several ways. I wouldn't dare to guess how many hours I spent placing parking spots, arranging taxiways, and lining everything up to the closest centimeter possible.

However, as a web developer, I can work anywhere I have my computer and a good internet connection. I don't know enough about the industry, and different engineering degrees, to speculate on work conditions. In the case of planning an area for development, like the airport editor, I imagine some could be done from home after getting exact measurements of the land and needs. Completely changing history and imaging what I would have done without an SCI, thoughts really start spinning.

After high school, I think I would have joined the Air Force for a few years. My interest in planes isn't far behind trains, so it would be a good fit. I can imagine myself flying freighters across oceans to supply the troops or soaring across the sky at Mach 2 in an F-16.

The railroads tend to look favorably at veterans, so my next career move after the Air Force would be working for the BNSF, or smaller, railroad. As a locomotive engineer, I could fill my preference for not working in an office, but still enjoy the luxury of heat and air conditioning. What area of the country I would work in though, I couldn't guess. Different areas have varying appeal, but that changes with time. After working a day on the rails, I would come home to my acreage with a hobby farm.

Working solely as a farmer would be a little too much for my liking. However, about 15 acres would be great. I could have a small barn and pasture with about a dozen ship, a pond for fishing and swimming, and a large garden behind the house. This has been my dream house for many years, and would combine several of my interests.

With all these career plans, I would hope to be supporting my wife and a couple kids. Unfortunately, the railroad life doesn't leave a lot of time for family, so I would need to carefully prioritize time and evaluate life choices as the years accumulated.

Speculating about the what ifs can be fun, but I try not to do it often. We live the life given us by God and work toward His plan. The one I've been given is unique and I pray that I can continue to live it to the best of the abilities I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment