Sunday, June 22, 2014

CHAMP Camp 2014

Today is the official start of CHAMP Camp 2014, and I'm missing it. Due to the insurance trouble and not knowing what would be going on this week, I let my application be withdrawn. Yesterday was counselor orientation and today marks camper arrival, likely as I'm typing this. It has been fun to at least see pictures on Facebook from camp friends. After 19 years of going to camp, seven years as a camper, you would think a break would be welcome.

As a child growing up and now an adult with a severe disability, you're unfortunately not seen as an equal to your peers. During school activities, let's say sports in P.E. class, you're made to be a referee or base manager. When you're the only person in class who uses a wheelchair, this is somewhat of a safety factor, kids running for a ball could easily run into you, or be ran over, and injure themselves. Whatever the reasoning, you don't feel part of the action. For activities in a class when you're told to work together, I often had to be assigned to a group to work on a project.

Three counselors welcome a camper in 2013
I would like to say it's different as an adult, but that's unfortunately not the case. People tend to address the person I'm with instead of me, especially medical personal, and you're not thought of as an individual that contributes to society. I work to change this stereotype, but only one person can reach so many people. At CHAMP Camp, the real world is a distant memory.

Kids participate in EVERY activity, no matter what their challenges are. I remember my first year of camp, the last evening, having a squirt gun fight between the boys' and girls' cabins. Before then, I had never done anything close to it, but it just takes people that know where the water can and can't go. Parts of the chest, and especially the head, are great targets, just stay clear of the trach and electronics, like the ventilator. Being treated as a normal kid that could do everything like everybody else was a great experience. Going back as an adult is similar as my camper years.

New counselors, especially those in school in health related fields, look to me for guidance and how to do things. My fellow long-term counselors know that I help in different ways and let me do what I can. I can't do the camper's medical cares, but I can help to occupy one, or more, while another is getting something done. For the kids that have similar needs to mine, we work on how to deal with regular life, bug nurses (a.k.a. assistants or personal care attendants), or just shoot the breeze. As the camp orientation packet says, isn't it too bad the real world isn't like this?

One of my camp friends, a fellow alumni camper turned counselor, says it's his favorite week of the year. With all the memories, friends, and unique experiences, I feel pretty close to the same. Hopefully next year things will straighten out so that I can continue to make memories and help kids.

2 comments: