Thursday, February 19, 2015

30 years

Thirty years ago, on February 20, 1985, the life my family and I knew was ended. With mom sustaining major lower body injuries and my high spinal cord injury, we were thrust into a new world.

In the three decades since then, we have all learned a lot. First of all to trust in God's timing and plan for the life we've been given. There have been several times that after months, or years, of planning, something we didn't expect ends up taking place.

Statistics say someone injured at age 20 and on a vent has a life expectancy of about 25 years. Someone injured at 40 goes down to just over 12 years. I haven't found research for injuries at my age (3 years), but I'm likely a little over or at the average age. I have friends that have similar stories and are more years post injury and others that passed away years ago.

Whatever the numbers say, I have been given a long time in this position and an equal amount of blessings. My parents have been the biggest gift through all these years and have gone through everything with me. Nights and days without nurses, time in the hospital, getting necessary supplies and funding, the list could continue for quite some time. Despite their own struggles though, they have helped in every way possible. Along with them are the countless caregivers I have been given and who have been a key part in helping me do the tasks I've been given.

Unfortunately, as time passes, it seems the challenges continue to expand. As I get older, pressure sores and skin issues continue to be more of a problem. Regular readers will know the posts of when I am flat in bed and not able to do much. This past year of the extreme funding struggles and continuing issues with equipment and other needs. I have had times that I couldn't see going on any longer and so looking forward to being done with the life of SCI.

When we are weak is when God seems to be the strongest. Putting full trust in His plan is often difficult, but the only assured way to go. As I work through this unique life, that trust continues to grow. With my parents aging, my needs increasing, and daily routines often uncertain, I never know completely what to expect.

I do know that I've been given these years for a reason and work to God's plan. I don't know how much more time I have, but be it short or long, I will continue to live the quad life.

2 comments:

  1. Our spinal cord injuries may have been our initial connection, but I am honored to call you a friend Joel, and also a brother in Christ. God bless buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for everything you wrote. May God bless us all! Defying the odds and to living the quad life - the god life.

    ReplyDelete