Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Cold Busy Week

Along with last week's anniversary, it was a busy week. I had something to go out for every day Sunday through Wednesday. Not only did I have to go out, but they were also the coldest days of the week. My first day staying home, Thursday, was the warmest of the week.

I think we have the activities calendar backward in Iowa. During the winter months, when the majority of people don't like going out, is when the most activities occur. At church, the children's groups run from September through March, just when the nice months end and begin. Why don't we turn the schedule around so we're out during the warmer months?

Most people I know enjoy getting out when the weather is more enjoyable. Therefore, I think it makes sense that activities should coincide with this as well. Yes, summer camps get this correct, but they only last a week or so. Meeting every week like we do this time would give kids, and families, something to break boredom without school and not have to worry about bad weather. Tomorrow, for example, we are forecast to receive about 9" of snow. That will possibly necessitate canceling activities and keeping kids home, where they should be in cold temps anyway. Last week wasn't partially by choice for excursions though.

On Sunday and Monday, I went to hear a few talks in Des Moines given by Answers in Genesis. Tuesday and Wednesday were then with other church activities that I agreed to be part of. I enjoy participating and being active, but just think timing needs to be switched. Maybe they have it correct in the southern hemisphere. I know I could get used to having Christmas at the beginning of summer!

In the quad life, and any life, we choose what we want to do and how to serve the community we live in. Even if it isn't the most agreeable with what we would prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment