Monday, October 5, 2015

Chilling Down

The last few days have had a definite decrease in temp across Iowa, and I don't like. Thursday was a day to ride bike in Des Moines, and shorts are required in order to get the electrodes placed. The morning was just in the 50's, but it didn't feel bad if I stayed in the sun.

As I rolled up to the hospital entrance, a man wearing jeans and a sweatshirt walks out. He looks at me, wearing a jacket and nothing from knees down, and just slowly shakes his head as he walks off. Unfortunately, I'm guilty of similar treatment of others.

There have been several times over the years that I have seen people wearing shorts in what I considered cold weather (30° or less). I've wondered in my head how they could stay warm in such an outfit. Not knowing the reasoning for my choice of wardrobe, the sweatshirt man at the hospital was likely wondering the same. I think there's a lesson to be learned from this experience.

Friday was my first school talk for the year and it was another chilly start to the day. This school was two classes of second graders, about 10-11 per class. The first one had won a party day and everyone got to wear their pajamas for school. I can't say I've ever spoken to a class in pajamas before, but it was fun. Both classes were pretty calm compared to some I've had, but they still asked good questions and seemed to be catching on.

With being out on cool days Thursday and Friday, I was cold even in the house Saturday. Going to church Sunday didn't help with waking up to 42° on my outdoor thermostats. I kept the sheet and blanket on all afternoon yesterday and this morning as well. I finally warmed up about lunch time today, but am starting to feel the chill again, even at 75° in my room.

Every year is an adjustment period as the weather changes from warm summer to cold winter. Temps in the 50°-60° range feel chilly now, but will feel nice and warm come March next year. I'm thankful to be living in a warm house though and able to remain active in the community, even if this quad body complains.

No comments:

Post a Comment