Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Tuesday Travels

It has been a busy day in the quad life with regular and irregular activities.

Every other year I get a regular eye exam and today was the day. Just after finding a parking spot wide enough for my lift, it started to rain. I rolled to an overhang by the door as it started to pour as my caregiver finished with the van. I stayed fairly dry, but she got rather soaked. We always look like an interesting pair heading into doctor's offices, but today was a bit more than usual.

Using a wheelchair makes eye exams a challenge since all the equipment is setup for the patient to use their seats. At one point, the doctor was straddling my footrests with his legs while holding a device directly up to my face. It would have been a really bad time for my legs to jump as he would have, let's see, noticed the bump very quickly. Thankfully, everything stayed in place and my eyes haven't changed in two years. Hopefully that will continue through to the next visit.

Next up was a hair cut at my local barber. This again is a place where patrons normally use the included seats. For me, the process is to park where the seat had been placed, then remove my chair's head rest so the back of my head can be reached. I also use two capes, one forward and one backward, to cover me and my chair's electronics. I have been going to the same place for several years, so they are used to the routine, but it's always a challenge to get everything setup and then put back together again.

After a quick stop for a few items at the grocery store, it was back home for a quick lunch, some personal care, and out again. However, the last outing of the day wasn't routine.

Two years ago, a teenager in a neighboring town was in an ATV accident and received a spinal cord injury. His injury was a little lower than mine and he was able to breathe and had some arm use, but was still classified as a quadriplegic. Unfortunately, Tyler passed away Saturday at the age of 17, just before his senior year of high school. Therefore, the last outing today was a short trip east to his visitation. I only met him once in person, but still tried to offer help via email and social media where I could.

Most days are very routine for all of us, just going about our regular activities. Sometimes, something outside the routine makes us remember why we're put in this creation. As you go through your week, remember to take time to be with the giver of life, and that routine is working for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment