Monday, December 26, 2016

Post Christmas

Christmas 2016 has come and gone and in a few hours the observed holiday will be over and everything returns to normal. For a few days anyway, then the new year celebration begins.

I notice every year that the holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year, seem to all clumped together. Three holidays in a five week time span during a time of year that is not always favorable for going out and traveling. During the summer months, the three U.S. celebrations of Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day, are spread out over three months. They are during the time of year when it's great to get out as well.

It would be fun to live n the southern hemisphere and have the scrunched holiday schedule during summer. Spending Christmas and New Year's on the beach in New Zealand with school out for the summer would be great. Families can travel to relatives' houses and not have to be concerned about getting home before school resumes.

The southern U.S. experiences part of this though. Yesterday I saw friends from Florida hanging out in the pool on Christmas day. I hear several people say they like a white Christmas, but I think I could get used to a green one very quickly.

No matter my varied thoughts, it was good to celebrate Christmas again with both sides of my family. When I only see some of my cousins' kids once a year, it's a challenge to identify who goes with who. A child who used my chair to help steady himself to walk last year is now running circles around everyone and talking.

Yesterday at church was also great to celebrate the birth of Christ. The official celebration is over and I'm sure some gifts have already been returned, but the gift that was celebrated never ends and has no boundaries. It has been a full year in the quad life and I look forward to what God has in store for 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment