Sunday, March 19, 2017

Fully Switched

For the last few months, my computer has been randomly restarting. Whenever I woke it up in the morning or turned it on, it required baby steps to get going. It was maybe taking after me in not liking to get up in the morning, but that's not a good trait for office equipment.

The machine worked well for me in every other way, but the fear of having more serious problems kept increasing. Therefore, I finally gave in and replaced my 5.5 year old iMac with a new one.

For about the last week, I've been transferring files from the old machine to the new one. Apple computers have a handy feature that you can wirelessly move information between systems. However, they need to be in proximity with each other on the same network. This resulted in my room looking like some sort of electronics store with computers sitting on desks and boxes of software on tables.

I got everything switched over and started using the new machine a few days ago. I've concluded I must be getting old though, I currently prefer my old system to the new. The improved keyboard is designed so that it lies almost completely flat on the table. This makes it more of a challenge to use when I'm flat and moving it around with my stick is very difficult. It may help in building some more jaw muscles, but that's not really a goal at this point in the quad life.

The new operating system is also taking some adjusting. I'm still figuring out updated versions of the calendar, iTunes, and more. Thanks to the help of my best friend John though, I did make more progress. Hopefully in time everything will become more familiar and work as seamlessly as the old system. I do think I will be investigating a way to adjust the keyboard though.

Whether it's older technology or new, I'm thankful that I can have the opportunity to use it. Moving a bunch of documents over is time consuming, but I don't have the additional challenge of setting up voice software and moving associated files for its function.

This week will be one of learning, both for me on the computer and for what insurance will cover. Hopefully both endeavors will go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment