Sunday, July 30, 2017

Testing Week

I purchased a pre-release of a movie called Exit and as a bonus, I received a digital copy of a book called Stressed Out by Todd Friel. It's a book I had on my list to get later this year, so I was happy to see it included. The main subject is dealing with stress and anxiety biblically and that God is in control. I started reading it over a week ago and this past week has been a good test.

On Monday, I received a call that my night nurse was having a family situation and nobody would be able to come. The routine of staying up until 2:00 A.M. is quite familiar, but still never much fun. On Tuesday evening, another nurse was scheduled to work, but she was ill and couldn't work and neither could anyone else. That made two nights in a row for late night slumber parties. Thankfully Wednesday night was covered, and I fell asleep even before my night routine was complete.

Thursday, I was scheduled for a bone density test at my local small town hospital. I have done them before, but this time didn't go well. It's common to get help and have two people transfer me from my chair to the x-ray table, but I needed to be laying the opposite way on the table than how I get out of my chair. This resulted in being held in a sitting position on a hard table and pivoting around, twice. In order to get a one of the tests, I was moved halfway off the table and my caregiver had to hold me so I wouldn't fall on the floor. With all this ordeal and not feeling well, she had to call in sick Friday making for another missed shift.

In the 32 years I have been given in the quad life, these kinds of circumstances aren't too uncommon. With a nursing shortage continue to grow, I'm very certain open shifts will increase. It is very tempting to get stressed out and sometimes anxious during tough times, but that only serves to make a situation worse.

I'm very thankful in knowing God is in control of all things. With so many open times and making my parents do more, it's hard to remember or understand how it will work out for good. I pray this week is calmer than last, but I take what God gives me. If you regularly read God's Word, but are like me and find some days challenging, I highly recommend getting the book above.

2 comments:

  1. Joel, I found your blog through Sarah Turnbull's FB page. I grew up in Lynnville. I want you to know that I am praying for you and your parents. The life you live is inspiring. Thank you for glorifying God in your life!

    ReplyDelete