Sunday, February 18, 2018

Loss in 2018

Social media often receives criticism about being an invasion of privacy, spying on people, and a cause of social issues among teenagers. Some of this can be true, but it also allows people to connect with each other that may not have been able to otherwise.

When living the quad life, you can sometimes feel a sense of isolation. In most cases, you're the only person in the area with a high level spinal cord injury. Through the use of social media, I can connect with other quads and there families and share highs, lows, and trade tips on what does and doesn't work. It's not likely I will ever meet in person with most of these people, but I still develop friendships that are more than virtual.

Not long after college, I was active in an online community of people with various levels of injury. I connected with a member, Ami, who's husband was a fellow quadriplegic. In her blog,
her husband, Chad, as Wheeler.

In January, he was diagnosed with a rare condition that his brain was shrinking and went unnoticed due to his quadness. He passed away on February 4 and his epic after party, or memorial service, was held yesterday. Chad is the second quad I've known to die in 2018.

Wheeler was a quadriplegic for nearly 30 years and the second for around 20. Neither of these men were on mechanical ventilation all day like me, but still had similar injury levels. This Tuesday will be my 33rd anniversary of entering the quad life.

More and more often I'm reminded of the brevity of life on earth and how what is here today can be gone tomorrow. I'm thankful for the years I have been given this far and however many remain. However, I have not used every moment as I should and have wasted much time over the years, but try increasingly more to make wise time choices.

Wheeler was like me and found ways to do activities that quads don't generally get to do. He went boating, parasailing, surfing, and much more. I was ahead of him though with zip lining and tower climbing. Chad was also a caring husband and dad that loved his family.

I regularly hear requests for help in funeral expenses when a fellow quad dies. For some reason, just because I can't breathe on my own, life insurance companies won't offer a policy. Six years ago, I did find a way I can save for funeral expenses and am now nearing the halfway point in funds. By that rate, I still need to stay around for six more years with continued savings!

In the time I've been given in this life, I continue to work more toward serving God and helping those around me. This year has given me reminders to not waste opportunities as soon they may be gone. In the week ahead I will continue to try and cherish every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment