Sunday, April 29, 2018

Slow Down

Since late March, I have averaged at least one speaking engagement every week. Today was my last scheduled time for a few weeks and I'm somewhat looking forward to a break.

I gave the sermon at my home church today for a congregation of around 200. It was a repeat of a message I gave earlier this month at a different church, but maybe a little more refined. Looking back on it, I missed a few points I wanted to include, but primarily got everything I intended to cover.

For the past few years, I have wanted to get into speaking more regularly and could see myself doing it as a career. I believe this past month has been a good test of what that type of life would resemble and everything involved.

One area I would need to develop further is use of notes. I'm learning to research and prepare information to present, but I tend to basically memorize what I will say and then repeat it. On days like today I do have a single sheet with some notes, but I rarely look at it. If I was doing more of a variety of topics, notes to help jog my memory would be more important.

Flipping from one page to the next isn't an option though, so I limit myself to only one page. I somewhat get around this by using PowerPoint along with my information. It not only helps visual learners in the audience, but doubles as a way to keep me on track. However, it also adds to my preparation time, remembering slide order, and coordinating with the person running the slideshow.

The quad life has unique challenges, but I have learned how to work with the abilities I have been given. Today was my third sermon I preached, but I felt extra pressure with it being my own church. I know the difficulties going on in various areas and wanted to help address them, but not go into it too much either.

This coming week will have more times of getting out of my comfort zone. I look forward to them and seeing God's plan unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment