Sunday, July 29, 2018

Amish Visit

Southeast Iowa has a growing number of Amish living around several small towns. Near Albia, IA, there is a small store run by Amish selling a variety of goods. On the last Friday of the month, they have a supper open to the public to help raise funds for their school.

When I had regular Friday evening help, this supper was a regular stop my parents made. Help has been very rare for evenings this year and they haven't been able to get out very often. However, this last Friday was an Amish supper night and the weather was perfect for being out. The three of us decided to take a trip south and enjoy the evening.

It was a small crowd of about a few Amish families and "English" primarily around my parents' age. Whenever I go out in public, I'm used to curious looks from kids, and adults, with my equipment. However, I highly doubt Amish children have ever seen a man using an electric wheelchair controlled by my chin. As soon as I started getting out of the van, I could see the curious faces.

Children are generally curious, and I don't mind helping them learn about different abilities if the opportunity arises. I noticed all the kids were quiet without the usual squabbles from other kids I'm used to. After getting grilled chicken and real mashed potatoes from the food line, we sat at the end of a table where I could watch a game of volleyball.

As mom helped shovel my supper in, Amish kids kept slowly walking past while checking me out. At one point, two girls just stopped and studied me about five feet away. Between bites, I said hi and smiled and they responded with bigger grins. There bare feet slowly shuffled away while still keeping an eye on the visitor with wheels.

After a tour through the store and purchase of bulk spices, it was time to load up in the van and head home. As I backed onto the lift and started my ascent to the door, about a dozen kids watched with fascination across the small parking lot. Dad joked that with my regular lack of footwear, I should fit in well with the crowd.

Living the quad life, I expect to be a person of interest when out in public. I can't say I see very many people like me regularly out and about, so people tend to be curious. Friday was a little more interest than usual, but it serves as a reminder to try to always be polite and set a good example, even if I don't succeed.

If the weather is good for the next Amish supper, I can see going again. Maybe next time I should learn Pennsylvania Dutch though and see if the kids will speak more.

No comments:

Post a Comment