Sunday, September 9, 2018

Adjusting Talk

September started with a slow holiday weekend, but it has felt like I don't have enough time for anything since. August web work was very slow, taking only half of a 45 minute sit time to send out billing. The time crunch has come from speaking.

Two weeks ago, I started this school year by talking with a class of nursing students. It was only an hour long presentation, but commute time added over three hours. I think that is about the longest distance I'll go for regular talks.

This week was spent contacting grade schools and looking at fall schedules. Most already got back to me with a date and time to come. However, one school could be a challenge. Most classes take a minimum of 30 minutes to cover my items and allow kids to ask questions. One school I visit has three separate 2nd grade classrooms.

Due to school schedules, I can only be with each group for 20 minutes at the most. I'm working with the teachers to try different timing, but also working in my head how cut a third of my time off. I like to give students time to quiz me, but it may get cut short.

Yesterday I also received a call from a church to preach in October. I have been there before and gladly accept the opportunity. When I preach, I use multiple Scripture passages to cover a subject. This congregation prefers the opposite of just using a single reference and getting deep into it.

I like the switch of doing less computer work and more speaking. I'm thankful God is using me this way and enjoy it. Now trying to adjust my style and work according to the requirements of the audience is a slightly new challenge.

There have been times in life I've become settled in a routine and God sees fit to change it to something new. He has given me all I need for every time, so these will stretch my experience further. At least it looks like this fall could be interesting before I hibernate for winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment