Sunday, November 11, 2018

Age Test

I received a message from my friend John this week saying I needed to edit my blog. In the about me section, I have written "In my short time..." He said that my time has not been short and that I'm now old. I was quick to remind him our age in years is currently the same, but I do have a little over nine months more.

On Facebook, I'm regularly seeing memes that show various items and say if you remember, or used, this item, you're old. I'm not familiar with every item and can very honestly say I have not physically used most of them. As I have said before, I do somewhat think age is relative.

In a few weeks, I will be celebrating my 37th birthday (if I make it that far). That means I have doubled my age since graduating high school. There are also events that are clear in my memory, such as Y2K and 9/11, that are now in history books and college freshman did not experience first-hand. Looking that way, yes my years are not short and have accumulated a good number.

Looking the other direction, I have only been in a career for half the time of my peers. Granted web development as a career option hasn't been around for 40 years, but I'm thinking in general. For speaking and preaching, I'm only beginning to scratch the surface of those that have been working for over four to five decades.

Just like when I look at groups younger than me, my parents and grandparents remember events that happened before I was born or very young. Looking at both sides of the coin, I would put myself about in the middle.

As far as quad life, 33 years post injury does place me in the old man category. In the past few weeks, a few minor issues have come up that do show I've had several decades in this life and have experience to help others.

By the time you read this, I will likely have changed the about section by removing one word. In any case, I'm thankful for the years God has given me and look forward to using my remaining time according to His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment