Sunday, March 24, 2019

Slow Recovery

It has been a tough week, but I'm glad to be through it and now looking back. On Monday, I visited another doctor due to still suctioning more than usual. He said the x-ray looked okay, but gave me a third antibiotic. This wasn't my usual pulmonologist and I was told I was likely a germ carrier anyway and they were just out of balance. I don't plan to go back to that physician.

When I got home, I learned that Aiden, the boy I posted about two weeks ago, had died. He was ten years old and had been a quadriplegic for nine years. His funeral was yesterday and the past few days have been spent seeing pictures and messages to his family. A mother of another quadriplegic said she recently learned of a woman who was a very active quad had died after getting this year's flu.

The past few months have been hard for a lot of people and I'm thankful to be recovering. I started breathing more easily on Tuesday and could actually sleep some at night. I'm still suctioning more than normal, but less than I was earlier in the week. In less than two weeks, I have used nearly 60 suction catheters. My normal is maybe 3-4 per week. I ordered more a few days ago only to learn my supplier is out and it will be a while until I can get more. That has made me especially thankful I'm getting closer to normal.

After almost two weeks out sick, my main day assistant returned Thursday. She still gets tired out easily, like me, but it was helpful to get back to my regular schedule again. I kept dozing off in church today, but made it home before really needing suctioned. On Tuesday, I'm scheduled to speak to a class of respiratory therapy students. I think I'll have more to cover this year with my last few weeks' experience.

I'm very thankful that I rarely have trouble with my health. For those with chronic problems, I understand how it can get frustrating and look forward to a time of ease. I pray this week will be back to the normal quad life, but I will try to take it easy as well. Spring weather the next few days should help and hopefully end the trend of illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment