Sunday, April 3, 2022

Surprise Speed Bump Visit

Almost annually, I talk about a visit from my best friend John. We have been friends since his dad came to be pastor at our church, which included through high school, and I know his family well. During my senior year of high school, John and I were both in journalism class together. One class period early in the year, we were bored and looking to fill time after our assignment was complete (maybe complete anyway).

John's oldest sister was a freshman that year. John and I schemed a little, and came up with a sign reading, "To me, all freshman are speed bumps." I hung it on the back of my chair during lunch that day and it resided in my locker all year. John's sister of course was the primary source of our thinking and she earned the nickname Speed Bump.

It has been more than twenty years since I graduated high school. The last time I saw all of John's family was at his wedding in 2005. I have followed his sisters on Facebook and interact with them, but that has been the only contact for many years. However, Speed Bump messaged me late last week to see if I was busy and if she and her boys could visit.

Speed Bump's husband couldn't get off work for spring break, but she wanted to come and see the new church facility, tour town with her sons, and see the old building before it (possibly) gets torn down. Tuesday was cold and cloudy and meant no possibility of walking to the park. Therefore, our group stayed at home playing Jenga and I got to practice my grade school routine of writing with mouth and feet. 

I loved getting to meet her boys and catching up on life for the past several years. The short two hour visit went quickly, but I've heard the kids want to come in summer and go to the park with "Joel in the wheelie chair." I have also been thinking that offspring of a speed bump would be small, but still noticeable when getting ran over. I may have to call the kids my rumble strip, but not sure of it yet.

Whatever fun names we make, it was a great visit to get caught up with friends again and meet her family. I always enjoy being with kids and teach the quad life is just a unique way of living. April should be busy with school visits and other activities, but I hope it won't be another decade before the next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment