Sunday, August 14, 2022

Cell phone trip?

Friday was my first of two mornings volunteering at the Iowa State Fair in the Ark Encounter booth. I have been at the booth for several years, but I noticed something more this time than any time before.

At 9:00, a plethora of volunteers were at the booth and we all took different locations to park. As everyone moved around during conversations and leaving for breaks, I eventually migrated to my favorite corner and continued watching people stream by and who I could reach out to. Watching a sea of faces, I saw a very high number only looking down at their cell phone and texting.

Granted, the building I am in primarily has sales persons pedaling anything under the sun. After so many hot tubs, cookware, and other items you can't live without, it's easy to zone out and just walk along. However, you can at least look up and see where you're walking and enjoy being out of your regular environment.

Last year, I'm sure some of the same was happening, but I don't remember it as much. After missing the fair in 2020, I think everybody was glad to be out and wanted to fully experience the fair fun again. Unfortunately, society quickly forgets the past and to not take anything for granted.

After my shift, I found an easy place for lunch and saw more heads pointed down at phones while sitting and eating fair food. It was then my time to explore the fair, but I only had about an hour to do so before I needed to leave. Sara was also having trouble walking, so we didn't look around very much. For the time I had, I did not look at any electronic device while I did meander.

Whatever you have going on this week, make sure to take the time and enjoy what you get to do. No matter if it's in the quad life or not, it can quickly be taken away and we can seriously miss what we chose not to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment