Sunday, September 7, 2014

Month of SCI

Several months of the year have been dedicated to raising awareness for some cause or condition. September is Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) awareness month.

I can easily say that Christopher Reeve has done the most of anyone to raise awareness about SCI. After his injury, the work he did on research and improving quality of life still has impact today, nearly ten years after his death. According to the Christopher Reeve Association, there are about 6 million people with paralysis. That's about 1 in every 50, which means that most people know someone with a SCI or related condition. However, it's still relatively unknown and misunderstood of what's involved.

Injury level is of course a very large determining factor on a person's needs and abilities. It can go from needing complete care including mechanical ventilation, like me, down to having some trouble walking. I have worked with parents of a boy with an injury like mine who initially thought he would be confined to a bed for the rest of his life. I also had a doctor's receptionist think the same in advising that the office was under construction and didn't know if they could fit my bed in through the doorways. Fortunately, with the change in ventilators since the iron lung, that is not the case.

As anyone who reads this blog knows I do a lot in the community, from bed and chair. I am a web developer for multiple businesses and organizations, at my church I'm a deacon, newsletter editor, prayer coordinator, and Cadet counselor. I also give disability awareness talks at schools, and have volunteered as a camp counselor for many years. As I tell the school kids, just because you can't move, or breathe, doesn't mean you can't do things. Many other people with SCIs have families and work full-time jobs to support them. However, as I've discussed here, the life of SCI is not easy.

With a high injury like mine, you are very dependent on other people for help. As I type this, I would normally be at church just before evening service starts. Unfortunately, my dad has been ill today and unable to take us to church. The big topic for me this year has been funding trouble with insurance not wanting to cover my caregivers. It often seems like the life of SCI is one battle after another, especially with funding. It's unfortunate that their are also many secondary problems like pressure sores and infections. I know several people that had SCI and are no longer living, mostly younger and with less time injured than me.

The ultimate reason for SCI and any other debilitating condition is living in a sin cursed world. At the end of creation week, called everything "very good." However, SCI and its affects are not very good. As a result of Adam and Eve's sin, the world is deteriorating, along with mankind. The ultimate cure for all ailments will come with a new heaven and new earth, where there will no longer be any more pain or suffering. Until then, we live the lives God has given us, no matter what our abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment