Sunday, February 11, 2018

Long Snow

As winter drags on, I'm hearing more people asking, "Is it spring yet?" I'm included in having the same question. We had snow a few times this year, but it seemed to melt a few days later with warmer temps. Unfortunately, the latest rounds have deposited several inches and the cold is staying as well.

One thing I hear a lot of people say during winter is that they are tired of clouds and want to see the sun. For me, I can't say I'm really bothered if it's a clear day or not. Bright sun on the white landscape is almost blinding and I almost prefer some cloud cover until everything melts.

Winter does also seem to pass slowly, at least compared to the summer. When I was in the hospital in November, a few people sent balloons for my birthday. There were originally five, but two of them have kept their helium and are still anchored in my room. Looking at them reminds me it has already been over two months even if it doesn't feel like it.

I also have an escape from winter, at least in my head. I recently purchased a game called American Truck Simulator where you drive semis around the southwestern U.S. I have driven several in game days and so far have always had clear blue skies to live my dream of driving truck. When I'm flat, I also do some virtual farming which generally includes clear sunny days as well. Even though it looks cold and dull out my window, I can experience better simulated conditions.

Ecclesiastes 3 says for everything there is a season. During the warm months of the year, the land produces its crop and we enjoy the bounty God provides. Winter gives a time of rest before another season of growth comes again. Those who work the land can also take time to prepare for the next year and spend energy on other endeavors, such as reading and playing simulated farming!

Anticipating what may come is good, but don't forget to also use the time you currently have.

No comments:

Post a Comment