Sunday, September 2, 2018

Expired Discoveries

Every year, Medicaid requires me to fill out multiple pages of information to see if I still qualify. It's not like my condition will improve or I'll win the lottery, but I comply anyway.

My caregiver went to retrieve some paperwork from my closet and doing so caused a minor avalanche of stuff to fall off the shelf. I was laying on my side and had a perfect view as I attempted to stifle laughter while she retrieved my squirting flower amongst fallen items. My curiosity took hold and I asked, "What is some of that?" This started a distraction from our actual task that continued for over 30 minutes.

One of the binders on the shelf contained transcripts from college and final grade results. It confirmed why I did not continue with my degree in accounting and instead graduated with a degree in Information Technology. I hardly use it now, but it seemed like a better decision at the time. Further digging uncovered bags of school work.

Labels indicated they were from 2007 and earlier during my work on getting a B.A. in Computer Science. Since that quest never finished, the recycle pile was started. Continuing to navigate the shelf of historical finding, a few bags of granola bars and candy were found.

Finding a date, one of the bars said it was best eaten by December 2015. The discard pile continued as I halfway waited for a bug or two to crawl away. The bag of sweets contained a few Starburst pieces that I was tempted to try (not like I have stomach trouble). Tapping one on a table made for a good gavel, so I opted to skip it.

The final result ended up with a good discard pile and a cleaner shelf. We did finish the paperwork a few days later and get it sent. Hopefully this year will go smoother than last year when I got denied coverage. I'm thankful for the experiences God has given me in the quad life and it's fun to be reminded of them. I think I'll need to be more careful with old snacks though and wonder what will be found on more shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment