Sunday, July 12, 2020

On the Hunt

My family doesn't get into hunting, but this week has felt like chasing after moving targets. On July 4, my parents and I normally get together with three other adults. Unfortunately, one of them has been having several medical issues and recently went to a care facility for some rehab. It didn't feel right to have our party without her, so the five of us decided to go have a window visit.

When our group got to the rehab center, we called our friend, Lynne, to get directions to the correct window. We slowly drove around the parking lot trying to not look creepy staring in residents' windows. Lynne gave a description of what she could see, but it wasn't matching what we saw. After about 15 minutes, our hunting party spotted a building that fit the described view. Dad parked the van, and walked toward the area we thought she was.

For a brief moment, dad could be seen, but then was out of sight again. Another member of our party exited the van to attempt another try. However, the same results happened again. When the third person left on the hunt, they took the cell phone with them so he could talk with Lynne. The new strategy worked and the target was found back in a corner of the building. It was odd seeing her so close, but still using cell phones to communicate. We were glad that we could find her though and be able to spend time together. However, there have been more hunting excursions this week, without leaving home.

Every month, I order supplies for my medical procedures, including different types of gloves. When I received the shipment, it had a note that I couldn't get the sterile gloves I frequently use. On Monday, I called my supply agency to see when they may come. I was told that these gloves are considered part of personal protection equipment (PPE) and are being reserved for hospitals. Therefore, it's unlikely I can get any until the pandemic clears.

I am in a couple groups for people with spinal cord injuries, so I asked what others are doing and if they have had trouble. Most of those who responded said it had been going okay, but others have also been having difficulty. At this point, I'm still deciding what is the best strategy to find my target, but have to make due until I can find some.

While this has been going on, my primary day assistant has been gone all week for family needs. It has added to the challenge with adjusting schedules for my parents and I as well as reminding myself to keep everything in mind for what I need to do. Such is the quad life at times and I have learned to take each day on its own.

This week looks to be similar in schedule and unsure what will be happening. I'm thankful that God is in control of all things and it makes for a little less concern for each day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment