Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Going Strapless

For over 30 years, I have had a tracheostomy (trach) and ties around my neck to keep it in place. When you use a traditional ventilator for breathing, this is your primary option for getting air into your lungs comfortably. However, I have now gone strapless.

Since I started using the diaphragm pacemaker system in 2010, I have capped off my trach and breathed through my nose and mouth. Since I was still using the vent part-time, this worked well. It has now been about two years since I used the vent and other than clearing my lungs by suctioning, the trach has stayed capped.

One of the problems with having a trach long-term is that it can rub the inside of the throat. There is also a major artery nearby that can be rubbed through causing major, to total, blood loss in a very short amount of time. I've been feeling a lot rubbing the past few months and was causing a sore throat. With this in mind, I made a switch this past Friday.

After a short doctor's visit, he replaced the trach with a trach button. The button is similar to what I had in that it's capped off and allows me to breath normally. We can also uncap it in order to clear out my lungs. The main differences are that it is about a quarter of the length of the trach and it keeps itself in place.

It has felt great getting rid of the rubbing in my throat, but I'm still getting used to having a bare neck. Shirt collars rubbing feel really strange and it sometimes makes me feel like the trach is going to pop out without the ties in place. I've had a lifetime of getting used to the old method and four days for the new, so I think it will take time to adjust. I mainly keep it under my shirt as well, so not many others notice the change.

Through the last few months, I have had several large blessings; getting a new chair after several years work, seeing my very good friend for the first time in many years, and now this. I'm thankful for the good things God has given me, but wonder what trials await.

I'm scheduled to see my doctor again in November and we'll see if the button stays or the trach returns. Until then, I enjoy the new freedom in the quad life.

No comments:

Post a Comment