Monday, December 5, 2016

Word Roles

I don't know how many people do this, but I often find common phrases somewhat amusing. I sometimes wonder if the person realizes what they're saying. I've made such errors and laughed when I realize what I actually said.

One area I often hear fun phrases is announcing a new pregnancy or birth. You will often hear, "Mr. and Mrs. Jones are expecting a child!" I'm glad they clarify, otherwise I may have mistaken the excitement, and increase in belly, with a kitten coming. A few months later you're told they had a little boy. Good to know he didn't come out as a teenager, the couple may have sent him back.

Other phrases I love to play are simple questions like, "What's up?" This leaves a wide range of responses available, the opposite of down, the ceiling, clouds, gas prices, your time, and many others. The list goes on.

"Be careful, that just came out of the oven, it's hot." I would hope so, if something just came from the oven and was frozen, it's time to get it fixed.

"It's always in the last place I look." It could be the first place you look as well. Unless you continue to look for an item after you found it, you'll always find it in the last place you look.

We park in driveways and drive on parkways, and then wonder why English is a difficult language to learn.

We've been given the gift of communication that we can help build each other up, entertain, and also spread gossip and slander. If used correctly, it can be a great tool. As you meet with friends and family in the coming weeks, pay attention to both funny moments, as well as serious. Both in and out of the quad life, every word needs to be considered and used wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment