Sunday, December 18, 2016

Cold Snap

November was one of the warmest Iowa has had on record. Mostly everyone I know enjoyed the extended fall temperatures and wanted it to stay. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and reality has returned.

December started off pretty well, but the last ten days haven't gone above the freezing point. This weekend has been a large shock to the system for cold. My dad's side of the family had our combined Thanksgiving and Christmas last night. When we left the house, it was a balmy 6° outside, before wind chill. Getting in and out of the van at my grandparent's house in the country felt like rolling into a deep freeze. However, I think a deep freeze is set warmer than the temp was.

This morning I woke up to my outdoor thermometer reading -13°, but with very little wind. As a result of the cold and yesterday's snow and ice, almost all churches in town cancelled their services. I missed last week's morning service due to no night nurse, so today was an excellent time to listen to what I missed. I was surprised to hear my name mentioned during the sermon, so likely a good thing to know.

As I write this, my thermostats are averaging at 0° outside, too cold to go out. However, this is Iowa and conditions change quickly. Tuesday is forecast to be in the upper 30's with most of the week having similar readings. After a month off, I'm hoping to finally bike again and try my new breakaway sweatpants made just for the occasion.

The warm to cold happens every year, so I knew it was coming. I think when living the quad life and moving very little, the chill seems to have more of a sting. No matter what, I'll live with what God has given me, and be thankful for a warm house, stacking caps, jackets, and everything else to ward off this fallen world.

No comments:

Post a Comment