Sunday, January 27, 2019

Snow and Cold

There is saying that if you don't like the weather in Iowa, just wait a few minutes and it will change. I'm waiting, but I don't like the change that's predicted.

We were very fortunate the first weekend of 2019 with very warm temps. Since then, it has turned snowy and very cold. So far this month, six of my nursing shifts have been missed with all but one due to weather. This week doesn't look to have much snow, but extreme cold. I think I will be rescheduling a hair cut I'm supposed to have this week for a hopefully warmer day.

It's no secret I don't like cold weather and winter. I try to base my thinking according to the Bible and have concluded that winter, as we know it, is part of the curse of sin. I'll try to explain my reasoning for this thought.

When God finished creation week, He called everything very good. The crown of creation was mankind, made in God's image, man and woman. Part of their rules were to work and keep the garden of Eden. The first couple, and all animals, were to eat what the earth produced. Lastly, before the corruption of sin, Adam and Eve did not wear clothing.

This shows several things when we stop and think. In order to have food all year long for every creature on earth, plants would have needed to be growing and producing all year. That also allows for Adam and Eve to fulfill their job of working the soil. Finally, with going around naked, the first couple didn't need protection from the harsh elements of a cold winter.

On day four of creation week, God said the stars were set in place to mark seasons. Therefore, the four seasons would have been set in place from the beginning. However, based on the above thinking, it likely would have been much more mild, maybe something like southern Florida experiences.

Unfortunately, the first couple sinned against God and brought the curse on all creation. The flood during Noah's time would have drastically changed the earth's climate with an ice age to follow. As I look out my window at a snow covered landscape, it reminds of this history.

God still uses the world in it's current state to show His love. In Isaiah 7:18, and other passages, God promises our sin stained life will be made white as snow. I look forward to that time of after the quad life and the new creation,

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I liked this entry. The way you explain your thoughts on winter is very digestible for a layperson in these topics like me.

    ReplyDelete