Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sound Check

With only sitting two to three times a day for 45 minutes at a time, it can be challenging to get much accomplished. Some days, with web work, writing, and sermon preparation, I don't know where to begin. Therefore, I added another project. Some might say I'm crazy, but I would agree.

When I go to schools, be it college or elementary, I often use a video or two to help explain something. Most of my videos are getting older though and could use an update. I received a hand-me-down camera for Christmas that takes good pictures, but also does video. I've now used it to do a few episodes of the quad life and I have a few more in mind.

My computer has a program called iMovie that does good video production, but this venture has been my first need to use it. Adding pictures and short clips has been fun to learn and I can do some while I'm flat. The drawback is that I actually have to listen to myself to know where to include different items.

Since changing to the diaphragm pacemaker system in 2010, my primary regret with it has been speech quality. I wasn't used to having to wait for air and could talk clearly when on the vent, pausing when appropriate. With the DPS, I have to stop every four seconds to take a breath. To my thinking, I try to hide my breaks fairly well in regular speech. Watching these videos says otherwise.

Another thing I noticed is how much my shoulders move when I'm talking. I know it's my body trying to take deeper breaths to be able to speak louder. It was something I was aware needed work, but again more than I thought.

I know I'm likely being more particular about it than most people, but it has made me more aware of it. It's part of the quad life that can't be changed, but I can be more understanding when not understood.

Even with faltering voice, I'm thankful I can serve God and be an active member of society. This new venture has shown more areas I need to work on and hopefully become more clear for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment