Sunday, February 17, 2019

Infectious Week, Again

This winter has been a challenging one. The cold and snow have made it hard to get out and several people around me have been dealing with coughs and stuffy noses. Unless their income is from snow removal, I don't know of many people that aren't looking forward to spring.

A few weeks ago, I was treated for a bladder infection. Unfortunately, the antibiotic my doctor prescribed interacted with another one of my meds, so I was to only take half a pill a day. After I finished the dose, I wasn't real sure it had worked. I gave it another week and sent in another test. On Tuesday, I received the call I expected. I have Staph infection and need to do a week of antibiotics, but a full pill twice a day this round.

I have been working with pressure sores for over 11 years now. Thankfully during all this time, they have not had problems with getting infected. Just before Tuesday's phone call, my day nurse was doing my wound dressings and one of them had a lot of junk in it, likely infection. Thankfully, it appears to have cleared up. On Thursday, my nursing agency's case manager came for her regular 60-day visit.

She agreed everything looked okay and was happy to find that two of the three had again shrunk since her last visit. However, I was sitting in bed with my usual attire of t-shirt and shorts with a temp of 100.6. The same occurred again yesterday with 100.7 I guess I could say I was a hot guy, but that just doesn't sound right.

Before all the snow started, I agreed to preach at a church in town tonight. I've been preparing the last few weeks, but also watched the forecast for snow. I woke up to snow falling again and nearly every church in town canceling, except where I'm preaching. This is why I don't schedule talks in the winter, in order to avoid cold and snow, but thought I would give it a chance. My only conclusion is that I am meant to give tonight's message.

I'm thankful that God has provided ways to treat infections as we live in this fallen world. Three shifts were missed this past week due to weather and illness. These times in the quad life get challenging, but I look forward to better days to come and seeing what is in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment