Sunday, May 19, 2019

Busy Bachelor

On Sunday, my parents were able to get away for the week on vacation. That means I had the house to myself for a few days. Unfortunately, I was too busy to enjoy most of the free time.

Tuesday, I spoke with physical therapy students. It has been a few months since I talked with college students, but I reviewed a few times and felt ready. The instructor introduced me as the best speaker of the year, even better than the instructor. From that evaluation, I'm assuming I am the only guest speaker that comes. The class of 16 students went well and had good questions when I finished.

I had two days on my own, with assistants of course,but had household chores of getting groceries, mail, taking out the trash, and checking the back deck. After 45 minutes with my legs in the sun, I determined the deck was fine.

Friday had another school, but third graders this time. Going from college to grade school takes adjusting, but it went well. The weather was forecast to be warm again and I didn't think the small private school would be air conditioned. Therefore, I changed my normal speaking outfit of khaki pants for shorts.

One student asked, "What happened to your legs?" before I started. I did my normal routine of explaining about my injury, but he asked again later. I tried saying I don't use the muscles in my legs, which makes them small. However, I'm still not sure I understood, or answered, his question. Another student dozed off part way through my time and never responded. That was a first for me, and one I don't care to repeat.

Mom and dad returned again Saturday evening with stories about their travels. I'm thankful it worked out for them to go and the extra help I had in the evenings. With everything I had going, it didn't really feel like a vacation week. My calendar looks just as full for the rest of May, so I won't be getting a break any time soon. As I told students this week, just because someone can't move doesn't mean they can't be active.

1 comment:

  1. You're very talented, I sleep late because I enjoy reading your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete