Sunday, October 6, 2019

Mr. Joel Returns

October started off busy with a doctor's appointment in Des Moines, monthly billing for web clients, and most importantly, speaking at two schools. I enjoy working with kids, but always wonder what will come out of their mouths.

Both schools have been on my visit schedule for several years. However, Thursday was two classes of second with two new teachers. I received very little communication from them in arranging my visit time, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The school secretary was friendly and opened the door for me as she has for years. I didn't know which class I was visiting first, so she helped me find one of the teachers while the students were at recess.

Finding one of them, I introduced myself and my assistant and wondered where to setup. The instructor said the two classes would be joining to hear my presentation all at once. This was news to me, but I've learned over the years to roll with the changes. A few minutes later, a total of 28 kids were all listening to Mr. Joel, most anyway.

It was tricky driving around legs as one class filled a carpeted area in-front of the room, but I stayed clear of everyone. After watching a couple videos and doing my regular routine, the class seemed to listen well and had good questions.

Friday found me at another school with a combined 3rd and 4th grade class totaling ten students. This was a familiar teacher as well and she had shown my school videos a few days earlier. As a result, the kids had prepared a few questions before I came, 34 unique questions. With these older students, they had thought out everything a little more carefully and it was an excellent few days that I enjoyed.

Later this month, I'm scheduled for two more grade schools and a college class. As I was afraid would happen, I don't have a night nurse before either of the younger students. It could get fun working with a room full of 7-8 year olds and little sleep.

I'm thankful I was able to share the quad life with these young minds and I enjoy it every year. I pray God will allow me to continue beyond this fall, but I will wait to see His plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment