Sunday, November 3, 2019

Late Vacation

My parents like to get away and go on trips to various locations around the U.S. and sometimes into Canada. They usually go out in early fall, but weren't able to due to my nursing shortage. However, they are planning to leave later today for a few days away.

With October having so many open nights, we didn't know what to expect for November. Mom was determined to take a trip though, so we planned ahead to get evenings covered with someone that could stay with me. If nothing else, my parents thought they could at least do multiple one-day trips around Iowa and be home for the night shift.

A few weeks ago, my nursing agency's scheduler contacted me. A nurse who helped a few times several years ago would be available just for November. He worked well to my memory, so he had a refresher night Friday and worked last night. That means I only have two nights with nobody scheduled and my parents can be gone most of this week.

I'm thankful they will be able to get away for a few days and explore new areas. However, I'm also wondering how the week will go. For the last year, I've noticed I'm becoming more reliant on caregivers that can easily move me around. My grandparents and aunt do very well when they're here, but moving me around in bed isn't an option.

Either the bed, me, or both have changed that I need to be in an exact position in order to do much. If I'm not, my neck, trach button, and mouth start hurting. I have been thinking of ways to minimize movement in the evening so I can stay properly planted. I believe I have a plan, but I'll only find out with testing it.

In any case, it should be an interesting week in the quad life. I'll be using my Amazon Echo to remind me of household chores and try to keep track of groceries. I'm not fond of getting out in the predicted temps, but I hope they will increase as days get closer. As always, only time will tell what God has in store for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment