Sunday, June 14, 2020

Non Camp Week

In 1993, I started going to CHAMP Camp. I had seven years as a camper and 2019 was my 15th year as a counselor. The last two summers have been physically very hard on me. Therefore, this is the first year since 2003 I didn't apply to be a counselor. Today, I normally would have been in Indianapolis welcoming campers, but things changed.

When you have been involved with an organization for a large chunk of your life, it becomes part of your regular life. I knew that this week would be hard with seeing pictures from my friends doing what I enjoy, helping kids. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, camp was cancelled. In some ways, it was almost a relief knowing I wouldn't be missing out, but I knew how devastating it would be for the campers and fellow counselors.

One of the older campers is a friend on Facebook, as well as several other counselors. When cancellation was announced, he started sharing how much it would be missed and ideas to beat the virus and save camp. While nobody will be physically together, several online events have been planned this week. Best yet, everybody can join in with the virtual camp. I won't get the camp t-shirt, but I can at least participate even though I didn't think I could this year.

For many of the kids, they frequently hear that they can't participate in an activity with their peers due to their medical needs. CHAMP Camp is the one week of the year that everything is available and you're not the only kid with a trach, wheelchair, and ventilator. That feeling will be different this week, but we still get to see kids actually interact with each other more than usual.

A few days ago, my pressure wounds received their 60-day status check. One was about the same, one bigger, and the third is basically healed. This has been part of what gave me trouble in previous years. I somewhat hope that I can return in 2021, but also know it would be a major challenge.

No matter what happens in the future, I'm thankful I can participate this year and give my dad a break from helping and taking me. I look forward to observing his day next week as well, but that will be the next topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment