Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day

Father's Day for my family unfortunately doesn't get much attention. If I'm able to go CHAMP Camp, it usually means dad and I are gone for the week. I would like to find a way around it, but I don't see it happening unless camp changes schedules or I no longer, which is possible. However, that's not the case this year.

I rely on my dad for a lot of my medical care when I don't have a nurse. Mom can't do large physical work like move or turn me, so it falls on him. Over the decades, I have met many families that the son or daughter is like me and requires a lot of help for daily living. Unfortunately, most end up in a single parent household with the father not involved.

We have our tough times and struggles, but thankfully through God's leading my family hasn't followed the norm. There are more things than I can begin to list that I do with my dad that not everyone can relate. We both enjoy watching trains together and I'm told we act a lot alike. However, I'm not so sure the last point is always a good thing.

With working many hours at work every week, then doing things around the house, I would love to see dad's responsibilities decrease. That likely won't happen soon either, but time will tell. Hopefully his duties at work can be shared with others and I continue to have caregivers that can cover my needs.

The thing I'm most thankful for is that dad is an example of what it is like to follow our Father in heaven. He doesn't get everything right, but demonstrates what it is to love your family as Christ loves the church. Also showing that trusting in God's plan is what we all need to do.

This quad life has been greatly enhanced by the care and love God has given me through dad. I'm thankful to have him and even if I can't give a break on his day, I can at least share our story with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment