Monday, September 5, 2016

Summer Sounds

This past Friday and Saturday night, I did not have a night nurse. That meant again staying up until early morning to help my parents stay awake. Saturday was also a cool day that allowed for us to open the windows. The combination of the two allowed for a symphony provide by God's creation.

As the clock ticked on, the serenade of night creatures made my mind wonder to the few nights I've spent outside. The subtle sounds and seeing the stars make a great end to summer and allow it to last a little longer. Friday was also filled with sounds of nature, but from a different source.

When I finished biking last week, an updated computer system was being installed on it. Friday was my first time using it. For over the last year, my view while on the bike was a stationary person on a bicycle going toward a city that never came closer. The update allows for a different experience.

I now watch as an animated man bikes down a road with curves, hills, and trees. As you progress in miles, he eventually goes through a small town and then back into the country. Along the way, you hear birds chirping in the trees and cars driving in town. If any of the other patients at the rehab center could hear my sounds, I'm sure they were wondering what was happening in my area.

My assistant and I decided that the biker on the screen was not a good representation of me. First, he was going down the center of the road, I would be courteous enough to go to the side of the road. The character also did not have on a helmet, but did have on shoes. Neither of these two items would be me on a bike in real life. However, I think my avatar should have a helmet on for my next adventure.

On this last unofficial day of summer, make sure to stop your labor and enjoy the subtle parts of the world around you. Some days in the quad life make it happen more than others, but it's something that should never be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment