Sunday, January 14, 2018

Medical Equipment Fun

Every day, I use a number of supplies for various functions. It's generally a set number of items that I can track how much I need to have on hand. Every month I order what is needed and have it delivered to my house. Most months are pretty similar to each other, but with some variation. This has been one of my regular activities since high school.

Even with the routine, my medical equipment (as insurance classifies supplies) provider regularly makes mistakes. Errors can be an incorrect quantity sent, incorrect billing to insurance, or a combination. Through the years I have become very familiar with having to call and get corrections made for my orders. Unfortunately, it seems to be a trend with more providers.

In October, I was finally able to order my own F.E.S. bike from Restorative Therapies like I've been using in Des Moines for the past two years. It finally arrived in mid-December as an early Christmas present. A technician came a few days later to set everything up. As he was working, I noticed something was missing, the correct pedals.

I have small feet, and the regular bike pedals I have been using are about twice the size I need. When I talked with my sales representative in spring 2017, she said pediatric pedals were included with all new machines and they would fit me better. That is what was missing from my new bike, only the regular large option was included.

My setup technician put in a request to contact me about switching them out, but I didn't hear anything after a week had passed. So once again, I called about getting the correction made. However, I now had a different sales person than I talked with last spring and her answer was that they were available, for a large price.

Fortunately, after they were reminded of what I was told and supervisors had been consulted, the small pedals were on their way. They arrived just before the year ended and were promptly swapped out with the original large version. Now I can bike at home without my feet turning sideways. As of today, I've averaged over three rides a week and have been noticing calmer legs more often.

I'm very thankful that technology exists in various forms to help me function through the quad life. Keeping everything straight can be frustrating, but also glad when it works. I look forward to many more miles ahead and thankful for God's provision.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm not sure on shoe size, but my feet are 8" by 3". I estimate around the size of a typical 7-8 year old.

      Delete
    2. Really? It is not noticeable in the pictures...

      Delete