Sunday, January 15, 2023

Good Practice or Consuming Thought

I have had a Facebook profile for several years. I used to share a lot of pictures and updates on my activities, but now I rarely do. That is mostly due to privacy violations that have occurred in the platform, but I share plenty of my life on here and YouTube already. Therefore, I primarily only post Scriptures passages on my timeline. This year, I decided to do an extra challenge.

Somewhere around late November to early December, I was unable to sleep and had random thoughts going through my head. This is when I got the idea to post verses whose reference corresponds with the date. Such on January 1, or 1/1, I posted Genesis 1:1 and John 1:1. I started planning for the challenge a few weeks before the end of 2022, but only figured out the first week of the year by the time January came.

Since then, I have found myself constantly looking for passages that will work for the year. The chapter has to be 12 or less and verse 31 or lower. Whenever I'm doing my morning or evening reading, I have a type of radar for verse references. It also goes on when doing our family devotions at supper and while listening to preaching at church.

If I'm not by my computer, I continue to review the verse coordinates in my head, have someone write it on a note, or use my Amazon Echo to remind me. I am starting to become so attuned to looking at locations and remembering what months need help, I sometimes miss what is actually being read or taught. When I record a passage to use, I often wonder if something else would be better and keep looking for more. I even have my mother helping with the project and I get emails from her daily devotional as well.

When this endeavor is complete, I think it will have been enjoyable. For now though, I need to remind myself not to get distracted from hearing God's Word while working to share it more with others. Hopefully by the end of January, I will get in a good routine and always rely on God's guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment