Monday, November 4, 2013

Entertainment

It's nearing the end of Monday, the best part of the day for me. The end of the day means I can do what I want without having a nurse in the same room with me and can be somewhat alone. However, my parents are in the next room, and I'm writing this for the world to see, not exactly all that private.

The entertainment industry does not get a lot of funding from me. I have absolutely no interest in sports, I can't remember the last time I was in a movie theater, and once I start a computer game, I tend to stick with it for a while. One example is a game called Starcraft, by Blizzard Entertainment. My best friend and I started playing it when we were in high school. Thirteen years later when Starcraft 2 came out, we were still playing it. We had both graduated from high school, gone through and graduated from college, started careers, and he had gotten married and lived in four different states. In late 2012 though, our interest shifted to a new game.

Harvesting canola in Farming Simulator
Farming Simulator 2013 is just what the name implies, a game that simulates farming. You plant and harvest crops, take care of livestock, buy and sell equipment, and watch your bank account grow, and shrink. In the eleven months I have had this game, I have easily spent nearly 1000 hours playing it. I do not see it lasting 14 years like Starcraft, but it is a good hiatus.

This past Saturday, the night nurse called in sick and a replacement could not be found. Therefore, I stayed awake by playing Farming Simulator and helped mom stay up. It's a game that can go as fast or as slow as you want, just change the speed of time with a key stroke. In fact, I have it running as I type this evening's entry. During the next two days though, I won't be farming, I have church activities for both nights. When Thursday night comes though, I'll be back to my crops again.

Living in rural Iowa, as the son of two people that grew up on farms, and having several family members in the farming industry, you get to know the job as a farmer well. I don't know that I would have been a farmer if I wasn't in the quad life, but it's possible. At least through the role of simulation, I can preteen what it's like for those around me.

Posting weekly is starting to become a habit, but I did almost forget tonight. We shall see what the next week's plans have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment