Sunday, February 10, 2019

Valentine's Day

Some weeks, I struggle what on what to write in this blog. Today was one of them, until I remembered Valentine's Day is coming later this week.

February 14 is the day set aside especially to show love to that special someone. That someone could be a spouse, parent, child, and often all of the above. Flower shops and candy companies become busy for the day and greeting cards fly off the shelves.

I've heard some people say that holidays are inventions by greeting card companies in order to increase sales and love should be observed daily. According to my Google search, the celebration started in the United States around 1847. Hallmark began over 60 years later in 1910. Therefore, the main greeting card company does benefit from February 14, I wouldn't say they started it.

It is correct though that someone's care and love for another should be expressed more than one day a year, and daily. I think several wives especially would be expressing another emotion if husbands didn't regularly say "I love you," at the very least.

While human love is a good feeling to have, I think even more of God's love for us. The familiar John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." The Bible speaks of love in multiple places, such as that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

God is love, but a loving God must also see that sin is punished. Continuing on from John 3:16, we read that those who do not believe are condemned. It is a two-way relationship, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15) Even though we as sinful mankind don't keep up our end as we should, God does not depart from us.

As you go through this week, let us remember our love for those around us, but also that which God shows us. I'm thankful for loving parents and caregivers He has given me, but even more for His free gift of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment