Sunday, July 19, 2020

Good Teeth

In 2019, I started work on getting my front tooth replaced. For the next several months, I had a gap in my mouth that made it a challenge to do any work with my mouth stick. It reminded me of being a kid, playing with my toys, and missing teeth. In March, I finally received an implant to fill the space. However, my dentist said the metal bracket that holds the fake tooth didn't adhere to the bone. Therefore, he said it needed to be redone and start the process again.

I made an appointment to see a dentist in Iowa City for late March. Before the date came, everything got cancelled due to the virus. I didn't want to go back to having a painful mouth with a hole again, so I didn't mind delaying. As the next few months passed, I didn't have any trouble with the implant and thought it felt fine.

Around June, Iowa City called to reschedule my check-up and see what needed to be done. I chose not to schedule a time and see what happened with the pandemic and how my mouth felt. This past week, I had my regular tooth cleaning along with checking how my mouth was doing.

As usual, I didn't have any cavities and plaque wasn't bad. When my dentist checked my mouth, he was surprised to see I had all my teeth. He poked around on the implant, and asked how it had been feeling. It looked like the prosthetic tooth had now adhered to the bone and was in place as it should be. The doctor said he had never seen such a thing happen before and was nothing short of a miracle.

After this entire process, I was very thankful to hear the confirmation that I thought happened. With as much as I use my mouth in the quad life, this was a blessing that will have long lasting benefits.

Now I'm back to the challenge of carefully managing time to get everything done. I can do some things while flat, but too much still results in painful gums. I pray that this will be the end of major mouth trouble for years to come, if not my entire life. Whatever comes, I'll trust God's direction and give thanks for good teeth that I can use for His will.

1 comment: