Sunday, August 7, 2022

What space is used?

A few nights ago, I was in my usual position of laying flat in bed and watching something on my computer. Looking off to my right, seeing the rest of my room, my mind started to wonder. I have all this space, but how much is actually utilized most of the time?

My bedroom is about 20x12, or 240 square feet. Part of that is taken up by the closet, but I have seven pieces of furniture and an office chair that consume floor space. When I'm in my chair, I do need room to get around as well as space to park so the lift, suspended from the ceiling, can be used to get me in and out of bed. The majority of the time though, my full concentration is on a 27" screen. Therefore, a lot of extra space is only used for short periods of time.

If everyone truly takes the time to consider this same scenario, many likely have a similar situation. Of course space is needed to get around and access whatever we use, but how often is it all needed? I'm just looking at indoor space in this scenario, outdoors is even more space.

Living in Iowa, I can easily see endless acres used for fields, which are used to feed people, livestock, and various other applications. That is a good use of land, but many other areas of the country, and world, sit open and are available for use (Montana, Wyoming, etc).

These are interesting things to ponder, but what's the lesson in it? God has given us a vast creation to enjoy His handiwork and study what He has created. We have also been commanded to fill the earth and subdue it. Many people try to say the earth is overpopulated and we can't support everyone, but it's not the case.

For those that live in large population centers, like New York, Las Angeles, Mexico City, Beijing, and others, I can understand their thinking. If you only see large buildings with small apartments stuffed into every space, it would seem over-crowded. However, the majority of the world is not like this and is quite open.

Therefore, the item to remember is that God knows what He has commanded and we have far to go to fill the earth. As you go throughout the week ahead, take time to see what area you actually use, and remember God has given it all for His glory and to serve His purposes.

1 comment:

  1. You are very lucky to live in a place like that. My city, unfortunately, is overpopulated... :/

    ReplyDelete