Sunday, August 21, 2022

Unworthy expert?

Friday was my second day at the Iowa State Fair, volunteering at the Ark Encounter booth. I didn't notice as many people passing me while looking at their phone, but I was run into by someone on his phone later in the day. This week's takeaway was something that has been building for a few weeks.

Both days, I was able to speak with several people and was again thankful for my personal microphone system. Near the end of my shift, a nearby volunteer started talking with a man who approached her. Shortly after, she pointed him to me saying, "He is much smarter than me." The man and I then chatted for several minutes about dinosaurs in the Bible and his recent realization they would have been on Noah's Ark.

No matter how many letters are behind your name, someone else will always be more knowledgeable in a different area.  I'm very happy to help in areas I have had more opportunity to study than someone else, but I would not say I am smarter than anyone. After posting pictures of last week's visit on Facebook, I also received a comment saying I inspired someone to do more. To me, this also isn't a good analogy.

In Luke 17:7-10 (it took me 3 days to find the passage), Jesus talks about a servant (slave in Greek) that simply did as he was told. He rightly didn't receive any special treatment or recommendation, he just did his job. This is exactly what I feel, but not even filling my assignments.

After creation week, God made Adam to have dominion over creation (Genesis 1:26). Therefore, we are supposed to study His work, understand it, and teach others. Jesus also said to preach the gospel to all people (Matthew 28:18-20). Therefore, as a Christian, I am to know about God's creation (the universe), teach others the gospel, while not sinning against Him, and loving others as ourselves.

I do not fulfill my tasks by any means. As the slave in Luke 17, I am not worthy of anything special for not even doing my assignments. Yes I have extra physical challenges, but God has abundantly blessed me with a loving family, funding for caregivers, people that are willing to help me in such a situation, reliable transportation, and the list goes on.

It can be easy to get a proud and arrogant spirit as well, but God said He gives grace to the humble. I'm glad God has allowed the quad life I've been given to help others. However, I'm not doing anything extra that all Christians are required. This is a busy week ahead, but I will continue to try and do as commanded.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool picture! I know practically nothing about dinosaurs, but I've always liked them.

    ReplyDelete