Sunday, September 11, 2022

Olmstead Term

In 1999, the US Supreme Court made what's called the Olmstead Decision. The main point was that people with disabilities have the right to live independently, even when using state-funded resources. However, each state is responsible for monitoring its own compliance of this law.

Iowa supports an organization called the Olmstead Consumer Task Force to monitor the state's adherence to this decision and recommend changes. I joined the task force in late 2019 for a three-year term to see where I could help.

Full group meetings were held every-other month at a library near Des Moines. I wasn't sure about attending the four-hour long meetings in winter, but an option was available to join by phone. I think we had three meetings before the pandemic started and every one since then has been completely virtual.

For the first two years, I didn't really know how to help. I commented on occasion about issues I experienced, but not much else. Sitting here on my computer watching people give lengthy reports on Iowa government issues became a test of paying attention and awake. A year ago, I was able to join one of the sub-committees to help with more specific items.

Now, I was able to contribute more to the monthly meetings and feel like I was actually helping. This summer, I initiated a project to address accessibility concerns at a large event held in the state annually. Finally, for the first time in nearly three years, I felt like I was helping and making a difference.

Friday was the last meeting of my term. Several other members voiced opinion with wanting to do more, just as I wanted to do. I felt bad leaving at a time that I could possibly help more Iowans with disabilities. Therefore, I agreed to serve another term.

I have no idea what will happen in three more years, or if I'll be able to complete the term. I also don't need more things to do, but such is the quad life. I pray that I can be a productive member and help others through my participation, however long that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment