Sunday, July 9, 2023

Relaxing Busy Week?

The first full week of July is now complete and it was a good start to the month. As with every turn of the calendar, I prepared new virtual paperwork, calculated my hours worked, and reported my income. June was blessed with about 10 hours of work over the 30 days and July may be around the same. It also helped that I didn't have any scheduled outings and could stay home, bike, and take care of other needs more easily. This coming week does not look the same though.

After a few months' of planning, my parents actually get to go on a trip. All my hours are covered with caregivers and they can do their own thing. It's rather evident the break is needed as well. On Saturday, dad finished some of my personal cares and, as usual, went to clean everything up. However, he forgot to return and set me up with the computer and replace my protective pillow between my arm and DPS port. When I heard him start vacuuming as I laid waiting in bed, I was able to get mom's attention while she could hear me.

With my parents away, I was looking forward to a calm week with the house to myself. However, I looked at the calendar more carefully. I realized I have two days with doctor's appointments and two more that are full with virtual meetings. Therefore, my free week will actually be just one day that doesn't have scheduled activities. At least with an evening caregiver, I'll be able to get in my chair and bike more often.

On Facebook, I'm friends with other quadriplegics and their families. One is a mother and her 23-year-old son who has the same care needs as me, plus further challenges. For the first time in 17 years, they recently started receiving nursing care for four hours a day a couple days a week. This isn't an uncommon situation unfortunately and in this case, mom is also having extreme pain and can't get relief for herself.

I'm very thankful God has blessed my family and I with so much help. I pray that all those living the quad life can get more help, and that caregivers can get relief. As I go through another active week, I will also give thanks for everything God has allowed me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment