Sunday, July 30, 2023

Calm Week with Questions

With all the trouble with my trach lately, it was nice to have a calmer week. However, I did visit my ENT on Thursday again. Since it was my third visit in three weeks, I wondered if I could get some sort of frequent visit perks. Unfortunately, no such options are available. He slightly adjusted the button to be further out, but I hope to not see him again for a few weeks.

Biking has been my main oddity this week. For the past several months, my legs have consistently pedaled for at least a few minutes without the motor's assistance. I have biked four times this week, and three of the sessions have had unusual reactions.

Twice, my left leg has been jerked with spasms much more than usual and I can see my foot even pushing and flexing much more than normal. However, it doesn't register as anything productive on the bike's electronics and at the end of the session, I only recorded 12 seconds of peddling on my own. One time, my legs decided to be energetic and, for a few seconds, peddled at 54 RPM instead of the set 30. For the entire 30 minute ride though, I only recorded a little over two minutes of not using the motor's assistance.

Since I can't feel my body, I can only monitor and guess at why things happen. During biking, I've also noticed other irregular reactions such as sweating. One thought I had was my pressure sore getting irritated and perhaps painful. The wound did get worse a month ago, but it doesn't look red or having extra problems. So far, it is only a mystery that I will need to keep investigating.

This coming week, my parents are again taking a week-long vacation. It's rare they go out in summer, especially twice in less than a month. However, it's just how my caregivers are available and they likely won't be able to go anywhere this fall as they have before. That means I will have the house to myself again while figuring out my body's oddities.

Such is the quad life with strange reactions. I will continue to learn and be thankful for what God has allowed me to do.

1 comment: