Sunday, July 23, 2023

In, Out, and In Again, Trach Trials

The last week has had highs and lows, along with a couple in and outs. On July 13, I visited with my ENT as planned and anticipated going back to a trach button. After looking at some options, we decided to go back to using the same system I had in place for seven years, but had stopped in December. He carefully removed my trach, placed the button, made sure it was sitting correctly, and all was good.

Once again, it felt great to be free of trach ties, the rubbing in my throat, and improved speech quality. However, good things may not last very long. On Wednesday, July 19, my night nurse thought the button looked like it was falling in again. My day caregiver and I evaluated it Thursday, and thought it didn't look bad and it would be okay until my follow-up appointment in August. Friday morning it looked worse though, so I contacted my doctor about getting checked.

After a series of phone calls, it was determined I should meet him at the ER in Des Moines for when he finished scheduled surgeries. They wanted me to me the hour-long drive in 30 minutes, but I quick finished lunch, headed to the city, and arrived about 1:30. Once I was checked in, I was told to go back to the waiting room as all beds were full. Therefore, my caregiver and I stayed in one spot while people with various ailments, including major "upset" stomach, sat around us waiting.

Bored in the ER
Around 5:30, after dad came to relieve my caregiver who never got lunch, the doctor found me in the waiting area and wondered when I arrived. Apparently some paperwork problems never alerted him to my arrival and we had both been waiting for four hours. He evaluated my button again, took it in and out a couple times (without pain management), and determined the skin needed to seal up the area. My ENT made an improvised dressing, put the button in place again, and it felt fine.

Dad and I drove home, picked up supper, and we were at the kitchen table around 7:30. When I got out of the van, I noticed something didn't feel right and I had a hard time talking while eating. Upon investigation, dad discovered my entire trach button was out and only my shirt was holding it in place.

This started a few attempts to try to reinsert the button, but it would blow back out with another breath. Finally, dad removed the impromptu dressing, pushed harder, and everything was back in place. The first time dad had seen the button out was just a few hours earlier in the ER, but he did very well with reinserting it and me hardly able to help. However, I'm now back to where I was Friday morning. Also, the button does better when I sit, but my skin needs me to lay flat, so I battle which issue to address and to be upright or flat for longer periods.

I'm scheduled to preach this evening at a local church. I am thankful I start reviewing early, but this entire saga has my mind distracted. Living the quad life indeed has unexpected times, but I'm thankful for all the people God has put around me that can adapt quickly as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment