Monday, February 24, 2014

Caregivers

Relying on others for everyday tasks is a fact of life for high level quadriplegics like myself. For the past 29 years I've depended on someone to help with eating, drinks, to scratch an itch, dressing, bathing, every sort of physical need. In order to be able to type this entry I need to have someone move the computer, keyboard, and mouse to where I can reach them.

Some people choose to be caregivers as a profession. For me, I rely on nurses of different levels as well as aides or people with no formal medical training that have been taught to do the cares I need. This group allows a rest for other caregivers and enables me to do more outside my home.

The final group are those that suddenly found themselves in the role of caregiver, my close relatives and especially my parents. They are the ones that are here through everything, they know what works and what doesn't. Parents are the ones filling in when the professional caregiver can't, sometimes foregoing their own needs. For them, there is never thanks enough for all they've done for me. Yes, we get annoyed by each other at times, but they are the ones I can count on.

I have had many times when I would so like to reverse the roles and be able to help. Unfortunately, that's not an option in the quad life. There are times that I try to wait as long as I can to ask for help for something, just to let them rest a little longer.

As we are in the process of trying to get new insurance, what the role of care giving will take on is uncertain. Will I be able to stay with my current caregivers and continue life as I know it? Will something different come along that I go to a care facility and my parents change to visitors that can help?

In these three decades minus one, I have had caregivers leave that we wondered who could replace them. God has always provided, through many different people in a multitude of ways. I pray that I can work with whatever situation is given me, and the caregivers alongside will be there as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment