Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day 2014

Yesterday was the day marked to celebrate fathers. For several years, Father's Day was often the day that CHAMP Camp started, so dad either was able to get a week's vacation from me or stuck with me as my assistant. Fortunately, a change in schedule a few years ago meant we could observe it.

My father has been through a lot over the years. At 27, he suddenly had a young son with a severe disability. Since mom can't do all my needs, a lot is up to him when we don't have a nurse. He has also worked for many years, and paid a lot financially, at a high-stress job so I can have insurance. Many people I know with disabilities like mine, or fewer, don't have a father figure in their life.

I'm very thankful for mine and all that he has done for me. He learned how to take care of me at a time when there was no instant connection to people around the world in similar situations. He has done very well and I'm thankful to have him.

When I think of Father's Day, I also wonder I would have been like as a father. I would have loved to be able to bring up my own child(ren) and teach them about being a Christian and trusting in God's Word. Children that grow up with a parent with a disability tend to be more helpful to others and treat others with disabilities as any other person, at least from what I've read and seen. My kid(s) would also have little to do with footwear

Some nights after dad and I have had our boys' group at church, I could easily see taking one, or two, home and putting them to bed for the night. Other evenings, I can't wait to get them out the door back to their parents, as I know some parents feel. Unless the Lord has some major changes planned for me, I'll continue to teach kids through church and school and work with them as I'm given opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment